Tuesday 28 April 2020

Environmentally Responsible, not Green


I love dolphins, birds and rainforests as much as the next person and used to regard myself as Green, an environmentalist. In fact I wrote the first environmental policy for the Oxford college where I worked in the early noughties.

However now I find that being 'Green' seems to entail ditching all my old school tech and investing in a load of smart technology with built-in obsolescence and believing in scary sounding concepts like 'global compliance' and 'depopulation', I am having to revise my position and thus Green identity.

My idea of being environmentally responsible is somewhat different;
  • Rescuing heritage buildings and retro-greening them in preference to demolition and erection of glass and concrete blocks with a 50 year life span.
  • Walking, cycling or busing most places but occasionally driving a 16-year old car containing no unnecessary electrics or air conditioning but which has outlived its carbon footprint, passess its yearly emissions test, runs on unleaded and is easy to repair.
  • Expecting clothes to last at least 5 years.
  • Seldom flying
  • Recycling
  • Remaining child free
  • Not wasting food or anything else (if I can help it)
  • Being an almost-vegan (aside from the odd bit of cheese)
  • Ignoring most fashion and fippery (ok unless it's a REALLY cute piece of jewellery)
  • Eschewing so-called 'smart' technology including the Internet of Things, which are all just a waste of electricity and batteries to perform simple tasks I am more than capable of performing myself.
  • If I could buy a computer that lasted a decade and a mobile phone ditto, I'd be delighted, but computers tend to have a 5-year lifespan tops, even with upgrading works and you are lucky to get 2 years out of a mobile phone before the manufacturers cease support for it and it becomes increasingly unusable. You cannot even remove the battery from new phones any more.
  • Being strongly opposed to scrapping pefectly good cars, utility meters, boilers and street lights in favour of over-engineered, ugly and inflexible new ones, which claim to be green, but will take years to prove it and meanwhile could have detrimental affects on our health.

In a nutshell my own personal environmentalism translates into 'being sensible' and not buying stuff for the sake of it.

'Extinction Rebellion' and Greta Thunberg have to all intents and purposes, been put out of a job by the current CV crisis.
Enter various wealthy public figures, stage left, to opine that the world is 'over-populated' and that de-population measures will need to be adopted.

Whoah! Let's stop right there shall we?
1. Who are these (mostly unelected) public figures to make these decisions and without public consultation or consent?
2. How is there an ethical means of shrinking the world population within the next ten years beyond making free contraception universally available to all and tax breaks and other financial incentives to encourage people to have fewer kids? (and yes, I do want my enormous tax break for having none!).
According to 'Freakonomics' human beings respond best to financial incentives for behavioural changes.

If there is no ethical, consensual and transparent means of bringing this about, how is the architect of de-population any better than Mr H.itler? How is de-population any different to g.enocide?

If you adulterate a human being's food, environment, air, water or medicine to compromise their natural health and life span, this is murder. As for wars, whether military or germ, these are not ethically acceptable population thinners either.

I do not consent to this world and nor should you. You can bet your bottom dollar that the super-rich are not going to be affected by it, same as they are exempted most other human issues.

If you think I am being melodramatic, do your own research.  It doesn't take many clicks to find verifiable evidence on independent news sites. And it's a head frack to say the least.

Only don't forget to speak out and share the knowledge when you do. Bad things happen when good people do nothing. Moreover...

4 comments:

KeyReed said...

Not necessarily for publication! Is there a word missing from 'As for wars, whether military or germ, these are NOT? ethically acceptable population thinners either.'

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Thanks for spotting embarrassing typo KeyReed. Now corrected. Yes there may be risks to raising this subject but from what I've seen online, there is a mass (and encouraging) awakening going on. As one commentator put it; 'The lockdown has been my wake up. I've had time to question everything that was bothering me.'

KeyReed said...

I still have a 'brick' for a mobile phone and I am not one to upgrade many of the things I own. When I was a boy things would get repaired if they broke; so a toaster or kettle might get a new element. I agree with all you have said - you seem to reflect my opinions in many of your posts.
One thing to come out of this Covid crisis is the reduction in air travel and I hope this remains low for some time to come. Why do folk need to gallivant around the planet? I had a telephone consultation with the hospital yesterday: it took 2-3 minutes. Normally I would have driven 15 miles, paid £2 to park and lost 2 hours. Life is going to change from this point forward.
As we have said before, Laura, there is not enough common sense around.
I think you are my soulmate!

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Thank for your lovely comment KeyReed. I am deeply touched. Glad some aspects of life have become a tad easier for you. I just about recall the days when everything could (and would) be repaired and flying was a luxury which only happened about once every couple of years for my family. We were always treated so nicely at the airports and got goody bags (and to meet the pilot) on the plane. We'd even go to the airport to spend a couple of hours in the viewing gallery watching the planes come and go as a treat! Seems so long ago now.
I think we need to start thinking about the world we want. So we don't end up with the world we're given! I feel a blog coming on...
Thanks for reaching out on FB. Hope I haven't accidentally blocked you. I get a lot of random American servicemen trying to friend me. I was quite flattered until a friend pointed out they are all scammers! Please do try and friend me again as I can't find you.